What happens after you hit a F150.

What happens after you hit a F150.

Last Saturday, a driver was heading to Riverton when something struck the vehicle and flew off into the ditch.  Once the driver made it to Riverton, they stopped at a gas station to pick up a new windshield wiper.  The sales clerk asked what happened to her wiper.  The driver explained she hit an owl on the way to Riverton.  The clerk asked what happened to the owl?  The driver said she didn’t know, but that she last saw it in the ditch.  The concerned clerk headed back out the same highway to see if he could spot the owl.  Just like the driver said, there was a broken windshield wiper on the side of the highway and a few feet away an owl sitting in the ditch.  The clerk brought the owl  back to Riverton and contacted Manitoba Conservation.  The officer drove the Great Gray Owl from Riverton to Winnipeg, where we met for the exchange.  The owl had a lot of fight but was not standing in the box.  We contacted Dr. Davidson with the Whyte Ridge Veterinary Hospital for an appointment and xray to see if the left leg was indeed broken.  Unfortunately, the news wasn’t a surprise.  The owl’s left leg was fractured near the knee and needed a pin to help heal the bone.  The owl was scheduled for surgery on Friday.  The total cost of the surgery was going to be expensive and Dr. Davidson has been a huge supporter of Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre for many years.  He was able to do the surgery for $450.  We would like to thank Manitoba Conservation Riverton District for driving the bird to Winnipeg, and Dr. Davidson and his staff for the wonderful work they did for the owl.  The owl is now resting with us and we hope he’s on the mend.  We are asking for donations to help cover the cost of the surgery. Please send positive thoughts to Mr. Great Gray Owl, as he will be on antibiotics and a leg splint for weeks.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comment

  1. Gail Vandersteen

    Recently, there were a couple of owlets (Great Grey) wandering around after they left their nest. I left them alone, as I could see an adult in the area so I assumed they were fed and cared for. I was shocked to find them both dead as a result of either an eagle or magpie attack. This was heartbreaking. Next year if I find owlets out of the nest unprotected, may I bring them in? They don’t deserve such a horrible fate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.