Summer Student Job Posting
PWRC is hiring the following position for our rural St. Adolphe site:
Title: Wildlife Pre-Release Researcher
Start Date: anticipated start date June 4th -9 weeks
Work days: Days off (Thursday & Friday), Shifts: Saturday & Sunday 7am-3pm, Monday & Tuesday 10am-6pm, Wednesday 12-8pm
Funding: Federal grant, applicants must be legally allowed to work in Canada
Age restriction: must be under 30 yrs old and a full time student before summer and returning in the fall
Location: Rural site, 20 mins south of Winnipeg, near the town of St. Adolphe. Applicants must have access to transportation as there’s no bus route.
- Daily feeding and caring for juvenile and sub-adult animals brought to our centre. They would specialize in the final stages of rehabilitation process. They would assess the feeding schedules of juveniles to increase the animal’s self feeding and independence.
- Researching and creating species feeding charts that will be laminated for multi-year use for the kitchen staff and volunteers.
- Contact naturalists, birders, conservation officers as well as members of the public to create a nesting catalog for birds and mammals to potential foster orphaned wildlife to wild parents and a list of future release sites for common wildlife patients.
- Pre-release staff would research and compile a catalog of enrichment activities, toys, and food items for common wildlife species to incorporate into their rehabilitation program.
- set up and maintain outdoor enclosures for juveniles and sub-adults to encourage exploration, natural enrichment, and exposure to the elements prior to release. Detailed rehabilitation notes on pre-release training will be documented in case files and inputted into the computer database.
- Collect and keep stock of natural food items collected from ponds, forests, and branches to be utilized during the summer months for rehabilitated patients.
- Supervise volunteers working with older juveniles and sub-adult patients.
We are accepting resumes and cover letters and will schedule interviews on first come first serve. Please email resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.